ok – whoever doesn’t love the classic Chicken Parmesan, well, I am not sure we can be friends. This is the classics really cool, plant-forward bff! This Cauliflower Parmesan is the real deal! Starts with that delicious breaded crust that gets super crispy topped with store-bought marinara sauce and shredded mozzarella cheese! I think I used a total of 7 ingredients for this entire dish – how easy!
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 jarred red sauce (I used Rao’s Arrabbiata – little spicy!)
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- chopped parsley
- Choice of pasta, rice or salad for your side dish
- Start by removing the excess from the stem of your cauliflower head. You will want to cut two cauliflower steaks but want to ensure that part of the core/stem remains as this will help to hold it together. You will have about two cups of cauliflower florets remaining but these are perfect to roast for a winter salad or turn them into a the wonders that buffalo cauliflower tacos are!
- Once you have two cauliflower steaks you will prepare two dishes one with a beaten egg and the other with bread crumbs. Dip the cauliflower steak in the egg wash and coat both sides. Transfer to the bread crumb bowl and cover completely. Repeat these steps for your other cauliflower steak.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and prepare a cast iron skillet with olive oil over medium heat. Place the cauliflower in the skillet and cook for 4-6 minutes until golden brown. Flip and cook the other side for 3-4 minutes until golden brown. Place in the oven for 10 minutes to continue the cooking process.
- Remove from the oven and place red sauce on top of each cauliflower steak. Place back in the oven for 10 minutes to continue the cooking process.
- If you are going to make pasta or rice I recommend boiling a pot of salted water and start to cook your pasta. When you pasta has about 8 minutes left, remove the cauliflower and add shredded mozzarella cheese to the top. Place back in the oven and cook until you pasta is ready, about 8 minutes.
- Remove the cauliflower from the oven. Plate your pasta and add cauliflower steak on top. Garnish with chopped parsley and enjoy!